Expressive Arts is a form of intermodal art-making that uses a variety of different artistic mediums (or ‘modalities’). Through the process of art-making and transitioning from one modality to the next, the creator is able to delve deeper into the artistic process and at times, can consciously understand aspects of the self that have previously been unconscious. Little emphasis is placed on the final product as the process of creating is the most important part in expressive arts. Trusting the process of art making is one of the main goals, as is developing the ability to see from different perspectives.
Expressive Arts is:
- A process of communicating
- Intermodal self-expression
- Wellness and healing
- Self-discovery, self-exploration, self-awareness
- Therapeutic art making and relationship building
- Engaging in the creative process for personal growth and change
- Collaborative (Personal and Community Development)
- Deepens understanding
- Another way of knowing
WHO CAN BENEFIT FROM AN EXPRESSIVE ARTS SESSION?
People who are interested in:
- Exploring a particular individual, family, or group-related topic, interest, or challenge
- Exploring new perspectives and understandings
- Developing strategies to manage a particular issue or behaviour
- Finding a way to get ‘un-stuck’ from one’s current situation
- Engaging in a meaningful, deeper experience individually or in group to bring members closer together
- Processing feelings individually or as a group related to experiences of stress, trauma, grief, health, parenting, conflict, life transitions, regret, confusion, self-worth, etc.
But WHY would I participate in an Expressive Arts Session or Workshop?
- Fostering individual creativity enhances innovation and growth – imperative components to successful business practices
- Increasing creativity reduces stress and increases performance, productivity, problem-solving, and communication
- Foster new inspiration and build meaningful connections with other colleagues/group members
- Improved self-awareness and personal satisfaction results in increased employee skill competency and motivation
- Increased personal self-care improves workplace productivity, happiness, and success, and decreases employee sick time, medical care costs, and health issues