WHAT IS EXPRESSIVE ARTS?
Expressive Arts is a form of intermodal art-making that uses a variety of different artistic mediums (or ‘modalities’). Through the process of art-making and transitioning from one modality to the next, the creator is able to delve deeper into the artistic process and at times, can consciously understand aspects of the self that have previously been unconscious. Little emphasis is placed on the final product as the process of creating is the most important part in expressive arts. Trusting the process of art making is one of the main goals, as is developing the ability to see from different perspectives.
Expressive Arts is:
- A process of communicating
- Intermodal self-expression
- Wellness and healing
- Self-discovery, self-exploration, self-awareness
- Therapeutic art making and relationship building
- Engaging in the creative process for personal growth and change
- Collaborative (Personal and Community Development)
- Deepens understanding
- Another way of knowing
EXPRESSIVE ARTS MODALITIES USED:
- Dance & Movement
- Music & Sound Play
- Sandtray / Sandplay